April 12, 2016

7 Lessons from an African Woman Entrepreneur on Building a Global Tech Business

Note: This is the first of a series on some experiences on entrepreneurship I have had over the years.

On Twitter, I am best known as a curator of African tech news and in general as someone promoting tech entrepreneurship in Africa. In fact, many think I am a blogger or a journalist. What many don’t realize is that I am also a successful tech entrepreneur.

In 1999, I set up AppsTech to provide enterprise software solutions, primarily around Oracle technologies. I started with literally no money and despite my best efforts, never raised any funding. I was a woman tech founder. I was a Black woman tech founder. I was a Black African woman tech founder.

Although those might have been external factors, my race, gender, or national origin were never a part of my equation. I lived in a self-created bubble in which those elements didn’t matter and I went about my business as any white male would have, oblivious to the reality that surrounded me and the challenges before me. It honestly never occurred to me that it might be any harder for me than any of my fellow startup entrepreneurs.
Lesson One: Your reality is the one that you create in your mind, not the one that others create for you.

Because I was not conscious of how difficult this was, I could be bold. And bold I was. With very little savings and no financial backing, I set out to build a global multi-million dollar business.
I spent the first two weeks doing nothing but writing my business plan. Because I was writing it for me, and not for bankers or investors, I could be completely honest. I was able to lay out my weaknesses, market risks in a very bare, truthful way. Then I could think of strategies to counter these. As I did this, my business model changed significantly from what I first intended. Over the years of course, it changed some more.
Lesson Two: Having a personal business plan is very effective. When we pitch to investors or customers, we want them to drink our Kool-Aid. It’s important though, to realize that it is Kool-Aid and not to drink it ourselves.

So I realized by developing my plan that the type of customers that most purchased my offerings were multinational. That meant that I also needed to be a multinational. How a one woman company becomes a global business can be resumed by one word. The internet.

I built the company’s web site and it was available in both English and French. I spent days studying the web sites of companies like Arthur Andersen, PwC and CapGemini and mimicked the look and feel. The site wasn’t very nice but in those days, neither were my competitors’. I couldn’t yet afford an office but I did get a virtual business address I could use on the web site and on a business card. I didn’t include a title on the card. I wanted the flexibility of being the CEO when I wanted or just one of the engineers if the situation warranted. I might have been a one person business but I presented myself as a global corporation.

Armed with by new business cards, my new web site, I spent a couple thousand dollars going to an industry conference. During that conference, I landed my first customer. A multinational. Of course, they had no idea that I was a one-woman machine. And they didn’t need to. They needed some technical advice that I knew I could provide.
Lesson Three: Fake it ‘till you make it but never sell more than you can’t deliver.

I used all of the revenue generated from that client and invested it in my business. I rented an actual office, hired a part time assistant. I never used any of those funds to pay myself. In fact, I was homeless and couch-surfed for two years before I finally got my own place. In the 17 years I have been in business, I have always paid myself last and have never had the highest salary in the company.

But couch-surfing wasn’t just about saving money; because I didn’t have a home, I could focus entirely on my business. I wouldn’t leave the office until at least 2:00 AM. There were absolutely no distractions; there was absolutely no comfort.
Lesson Four: Comfort is your enemy. Be prepared to make huge sacrifices.

As I mentioned before, even though I was a tiny business, I was global from day one. Every single tool I purchased to run my business had to work from anywhere. In a world where the word “cloud” still defined something you could look up to in the sky, I only bought software accessible over the internet. We were one of Salesforce.com’s early customers. Also, each individual I hired, from my assistant to my technical and executive team, had to have worked or lived overseas and speak at least two languages. So where my like sized competitors were focusing on the small local customer, I had my eyes on the more lucrative global market. And because everything was designed to be global from the very first day, I didn’t have to pivot years later and develop a global strategy, change systems and staff. Global in one location with four employees is actually the same structure as global in ten locations with hundreds of employees. Global is a way of thinking.
Lesson Five: Design your business structure to address the largest market you can, not your current state.

There were several aspects to our business model which were unusual at the time and helped us sign some very large deals within our first few years in business. One of them was that I personally hated bureaucracy. I still do. I have an intense dislike for paperwork and administrative procedures. What I came to realize was that so did many of my customers. When a bureaucratic multinational company is faced with a bureaucratic multinational supplier, the purchasing process and the delivery of services becomes complex and bogged down.

So I tried to simplify the process. I basically productized services. So rather than sell so many man/hours or man/days with different rates for different people, I created packages that customers could choose from. For instance, support contracts had traditionally been per “seat” or per person on the contract. We proposed three different levels of a support product that never specified who, or how many would provide them. Not only did this greatly simplify the purchasing and delivery process but it also allowed us to scale. Since we weren’t paid by number of consultants, we could build efficiencies to reduce labor costs on customers and spread our resources across multiple contracts. In the US in 2000, this was innovative.
Lesson Six: If the product or service you are providing isn’t innovative, your delivery of it can be.

Of course, I couldn’t have done any of this without a fantastic team. I sought out the very best minds in the industry and sometimes courted them for months before they would come on board. As often as possible, I tried to find the brightest in the African community. Congo, Nigeria, Cote d’Ivoire, Central African Republic, Sudan, Cameroon, and more were all represented at AppsTech. This in addition to China, Korea, India, France and the UK. Most of them were much smarter than I was. Although some were obviously intelligent, they didn’t necessarily have specific industry experience. One of my very best hires for example, was a political science major with absolutely no Oracle and little IT experience. But I loved the way he carried himself. I hired him on the spot. As a Client Relationship Manager, his ability to navigate difficult personalities was key. Another guy had a degree in veterinary science. He too had no Oracle experience. But he spoke five languages fluently including Russian and Spanish. If he could learn foreign languages so easily, surely “speaking” SQL wouldn’t be a stretch. He went on to get multiple Oracle certifications and was one of the very best members of our technical team.
Lesson Seven: Hire the very best or train the very brightest

Within four years, AppsTech had seven offices across three continents and customers in over 50 countries. We had generated tens of millions of dollars in revenue. By the time our model caught on, we already had established ourselves as the market leader. We had weathered the tech bubble and had seen many of our competitors, even some a hundred times our size, disappear. Profiles in the Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Computer World, Fortune Magazine and many others.

The epitome of success. We were unstoppable. Or maybe we weren’t…. But that’s for another post. 

31 comments:

  1. Great post!
    Allez je m'abonne! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! just in time. I needed to read this.

    How can I reach you? Email address. If I wanted to run an idea by you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Rebecca! Thank you for sharing your experience so honestly. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Rebecca! Thank you for sharing your experience so honestly. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very inspiring read. You've achieved greatly over the years.

    We can build more successful African entrepreneurs if we believe in our dreams.

    For new millenials, they would have quitted the early days you were struggling.

    This is what I needed to start my day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very inspiring read. You've achieved greatly over the years.

    We can build more successful African entrepreneurs if we believe in our dreams.

    For new millenials, they would have quitted the early days you were struggling.

    This is what I needed to start my day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite inspiring. Hope some of us have a happy ending like you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice blog post If you are searching for the quality self loveLove Yourself into Success Webinar Register at www.erinsumm.com/love-yourself-into-success-event-registration-2 Do you ever feel like you aren’t moving fast .

    ReplyDelete
  9. if you want to saving your money and time, you should use virtual address because is an important element to branding, and the best way to create a professional appearance for your business and a virtual business address is the perfect solution to maintain a consistent presence, i can suggest to you names provides this service like postscanmail or maillabs and you can use them for virtual mailbox, virtual address, mailbox forwarding, mail scanning

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi fellas,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    If someone want to read more about that Tech entrepreneur I think this is the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing nice information!!
    Rakesh Shukla is a speaker on motivation and beating odds in personal life and workplace. #TWB_ is #world's #premiere #technology #content #company #started by #Rakesh #Shukla. He founded the Voice of Stray Dogs (VOSD) in 2013, world's largest citywide dog rescue. Founder & CEO TWB_ | Entrepreneur | Technologist

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for having shared such a wonderful post. It is a great lesson to many.

    Affordable SEO packages
    Low cost SEO packages | Low cost PPC services

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us (creditloan11@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very Inspiring. Thanks for Sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Only price cuts will lure buyers, at this time as everybody expects rates to come down (even freebies like Mercedes and other cars offered by builders are not able to lure investors.

    ειδησεισ ελλαδασ τωρα

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like this blog. It is really informative and i will keep visiting it.
    For seo cosult here

    elinkbaits

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like this blog. this is nice written about women entrepreneur. Women are really doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How Lemeridian funding service  grant me a loan!!!

    Hello everyone, I'm Lea Paige Matteo from Zurich Switzerland and want to use this medium to express gratitude to lemeridian funding service for fulfilling his promise by granting me a loan, I was stuck in a financial situation and needed to refinance and pay my bills as well as start up a Business. I tried seeking for loans from various loan firms both private and corporate organisations but never succeeded and most banks declined my credit request. But as God would have it, I was introduced by a friend named Lisa Rice to Le_meridian funding service and undergone the due process of obtaining a loan from the company, to my greatest surprise within 48hrs just like my friend Lisa, I was also granted a loan of $216,000.00 So my advise to everyone who desires a loan, "if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan online with low interest rate of 1.9% and better repayment plans/schedule, please contact Le_meridian funding service. Besides, he doesn't know that am doing this but due to the joy in me, I'm so happy and wish to let people know more about this great company whom truly give out loans, it is my prayer that GOD should bless them more as they put smiles on peoples faces. You can contact them via email on {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or lfdsloans@outlook.com} or Text through Whatsapp +1-989 394 3740.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We offer all Executive Cars on Rent for Daily, Weekly and Monthly Bases Bahria Town Rawalpindi / Islamabad Contact Us for Rent a car Islamabad

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for providing great informatic and looking beautiful blog, really nice required information & the things I never imagined, and I would request, wright more blog and blog post like that for us.
    online meeting software

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing such informative post. Next Disruptor aims to be the perfect technical partner for South African pre-startups to post-launch startups – professional, flexible and fast and, crucially, with your business’ best interests at heart.
    sweat equity for tech startups

    ReplyDelete
  22. Vamsi Andukuri is the best blockchain expert and Founder of DARTS Blockchain, Helping companies to increase top line(revenue) and optimizing bottom line(cost) using emerging technology
    Vamsi Andukuri is a serial Entrepreneur, IT Developer, Blockchain Expert, Business Consultant who has been recognized from India for the Most Prominent CTO of the Year 2021 for his skills, initiatives, and Knowledge in the space of Technology & Blockchain. He was honored with the Award on 27th Nov 2021 at Novotel, HICC. The Award was Presented by GMR Cargo CEO -Mr. Saurabh Kumar. The Event was organized in association with Government Blockchain Association

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great Post! Thanks for sharing information with us. Please keep sharing
    Dartcoin is a Blockchain technology for changemakers innovators and visionaries, DartCoin Fastest Growing Cryptocurrency, and the best crypto trading website. The ultimate of Blockchain technology for cost-effective transactions at lightening speed

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great Blog!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Dr.Ratnaraju has been a Top Serial Entrepreneur for over twenty five years and inspiring social media activist, Ratnaraju has his own team of successful entrepreneurs and tech geeks where the art of networking and creativity, with freedom, is the soul. The team keeps growing every day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the kind of blog i was looking for, keep sharing them always.
    startup business awards

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...